6.6.13

Introduction

Another lurker here, who has finally decided to seek admission to the Guild. I am very happy indeed, and honored to be among such artists and illustrators.

This is the frontispiece I did for the first -- and as of this writing, still only -- edition of the Book of Divine Worship, the approved liturgy of the Roman Catholic Anglican Use (now the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter in the United States and Canada).

The influence of Albrecht Dürer is unmistakable, of course; the four main figures are based directly on his originals. I wanted the frontispiece to be evocative of the old prayer manuals that were such an important part of Church life in England, even after the Reformation.

The full image is cropped because my printer is only capable of scanning 8"x10". A complete scan will be added later.

3 comments:

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Welcome Joe! This is beautiful! I look forward to seeing more of your art here.

Jason Peck said...

Hey Joe, this is great, I love pen and ink work and yours is very well done. Beautiful work!

Mary MacArthur said...

The Book of Divine Worship?! Kyaaa!! I'm a member of the Ordinariate so I know it well. I always figured that picture was from centuries ago! Wow!